CCISD Celebrates National School Counselor's Week
Office of Communications
2425 East Main Street
League City, Texas 77573
Contact: Janice Scott, Assistant Director
(281) 284-0020 or firstname.lastname@example.org
February 4, 2013
CCISD CELEBRATES NATIONAL SCHOOL COUNSELOR’S WEEK
League City, TX -- National School Counseling Week (February 4 – 8) highlights the tremendous impact school counselors can have in helping students achieve school success and plan for a career. The special week honoring school counselors provides recognition for school counselors who implement comprehensive school counseling programs, which is a vital part of the educational process for all students as they meet the challenges of the 21st century.
National School Counseling Week, sponsored by the American School Counselor Association (ASCA), focuses public attention on the unique contribution of professional school counselors within U.S. school systems and how students are different as a result of what school counselors do. “Our school counselors work with all students to remove barriers to learning by addressing students’ academic concerns, personal/social skills and career awareness in post-secondary options,” said CCISD Director of Student Services. “Our school counselors are integral to student success. Help us celebrate our counselors during this week.”
One example of how school counselors impact our community is their work on National Service Day. On January 21, 2013 CCISD counselors gave back to our community partners by going in groups to the following agencies and provided a day of service and support as a way of thanking the community that helps support the students and families of CCISD:
- Anchor Point Pregnancy Center: The counselors organized baby item drives on their campuses prior to Service Day and then delivered and organized donated items in their facility.
- Bay Area Assistance League: The group of counselors worked in their resale shop on cleaning their facility.
- Bay Area Turning Point: Some counselors held food drives on their campus prior to Service Day and delivered the donations to the center and another group of counselors presented programs and activities to the children of the shelter.
- Devereux Texas Treatment Center: The counselors planted and cleaned the flowerbeds of their Greenhouse Project.
- Ibn Sina Clinic: Several counselors toured their facility and learned about the services they provide then worked in their facility.
- Interfaith Caring Ministries: A group organized food drives on their campuses prior to Service Day, then delivered the donations and worked in the food pantry.
- McWhirter Food Pantry: Many counselors painted the Communities in Schools lab.
- My Body and Soul-Toiletry Supply Ministry of Bay Harbour UMC: Our counselors organized toiletry items drives on campuses prior to Service Day. They delivered the toiletries and worked in the facility to stock and organize.
CCISD counselors would also like to thank Rudy’s BBQ for generously supporting them on their Day of Service with an awesome meal that kept them going strong all day.