Estrellas Two-Way Immersion Program (Dual Language)
Programa de doble inmersión
Two Languages: Your Child’s Doorway to Success
Dos idiomas: La puerta al éxito para su hijo
Two-Way Immersion Defined
In two-way immersion both Spanish and English- speaking students share a classroom and receive instruction in both languages. The classroom consists of approximately 50% native Spanish speakers and 50 % native English speakers.
¿Qué significa doble inmersión?
En un salón de doble inmersión alumnos que hablan tanto inglés como español reciben instrucción en ambos idiomas. Generalmente el grupo se conforma de aproximadamente 50% de alumnos que son hispanohablantes y el otro 50% son angloparlantes.
Procedures for Entering the Estrellas Two Way Immersion Program
English-speaking students zoned to attend school in Clear Creek Independent School district may enter the Estrellas Two Way Immersion (TWI) program in either kindergarten or another grade level if they meet the entry criteria for that grade level.
To Enter at Kindergarten
To enter in kindergarten, the following must occur:
- The Estrellas Two Way Immersion program application is completed and submitted by the parent.
- Parents arrange for English language proficiency testing of the student. This test will occur during the school day at McWhirter PDLS. The test is individually administered. The parent will not be in the room during testing, but the results of the test will be shared with the parent.
- The student is administered an oral language proficiency test in English.
- The student must score at the Fluent English Speaker proficiency level to qualify for the TWI program.
- If the student receives a score of Fluent English Speaker, the student’s name is placed on the qualified list. There are a pre-determined number of spots for English speakers. However, not all predetermined spots may be available in a given year.
- Students who have siblings in the program and who receive a score of Fluent English Speaker have an automatic spot in the program. Other students must enter through a lottery if more applications are received than there are spots available.
- Children of McWhirter teachers will be drawn first in the lottery. Then, if spots remain, McWhirter-zoned student names will be drawn, followed by the names of students who are zoned to other schools in the district.
- Students who are not selected to enter the program during the lottery will be placed on the waiting list.
- Students on the waiting list may enter the TWI program during the first semester of kindergarten if space becomes available.
- Kindergarten-aged English-speaking students may not enter the TWI program after the first semester of kindergarten.
- All necessary registration procedures must be followed to enroll the student in kindergarten. This includes completing the registration packet at the student’s home campus and submitting a transfer request, if needed.
For more information about the Two-Way Immersion Program, please contact:
Webster, Texas 77598